Apple Applesauce Muffins
Apple Applesauce Muffins are just delicious, but they are also fun and easy to make. Any apple lover in your life will be pining for more.
Apple Applesauce Muffins might feel redundant at first, but this recipe is so special, I had to name it twice! One of the biggest questions asked when I make a recipe with butter or oil is “can I replace the butter with apple sauce”? I wish it was that easy in every case. Since applesauce has a completely different texture than butter it doesn’t work every time, or even most of the time.
I knew I wanted to make a double apple muffin recipe after buying tons and tons apples at the farmers market. This one took some playing around with, though, to get the perfect tender crumb with little pieces of fresh apples in each bite. After a few tries it was totally worth it! As a bonus, there’s no refined sugar so these apple applesauce muffins are perfect for those wanting the healthiest little nibble possible!
For me, muffins are a no-brainer when it comes to simple, handheld foods that even the tiniest of kids can enjoy, yet many muffins found at the supermarket can be laden with tons of unnecessary additives, fat and calories and can really weigh you down. These muffins, however, are lighter than you might expect.
Made with apple sauce to replace some of the butter, buttermilk instead of whole milk, honey instead of refined white sugar and white wheat flour to replace all-purpose flour, they’re a dream muffin all wrapped into one seasonal bite! There are tons of muffin recipes on Weelicious that you HAVE to try like Strawberry Muffins, Banana Wheat Germ Muffins and Spinach Cake Muffins to name a few.
Apple Applesauce Muffins will be your new go-to this fall. Tag me on social media if you make them!
Apple Applesauce Muffins
Servings: 1Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 30 minutesfrom votesSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups peeled and chopped apples (about 2 medium apples)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, buttermilk, honey, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the apples.
- Pour batter into greased muffin cups, about 3/4 full and bake 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 150mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!