Black Bean Hummus
As I’ve written here many times before, we love hummus. Actually, I find most kids really enjoy the smooth creaminess of hummus as a spread on sandwiches, as a dip for veggies or just on it’s own. Traditional hummus is made from garbanzo beans, tahini, olive oil and lemon juice, but there’s no reason that you can’t get creative and come up with an array of new hummus flavors using different types of beans or nuts.
For this recipe, I wanted to do a Mexican inspired hummus with flavors I know my family likes, so I chose pepitas (pumpkin seeds), black beans, cumin and cilantro. And just to keep everything homemade, instead of buying fried chips at the store, I decided to make my own healthy, crispy ones. Both dishes are easy to make and kids have fun breaking up the tortillas into chips themselves.
Whether you’re inviting friends over for a party, want a protein-packed school lunch box snack for your little one or just need something healthy and delicious to nibble on throughout the day, this Mexican hummus delivers. Olé!
Black Bean Hummus
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeServings: 8 servingsCook Time 6 minutes Total Time 6 minutes
- 1/3 Cup Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1/2 Tsp cumin
- 1/4 Tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped (you can use the stems — they have tons of flavor)
- Toasted Corn Tortillas
- 1 package whole corn tortillas (about 12)
- Place the pepitas in a dry sauté pan and toast over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until the pepitas start to turn golden.
- Place the pepitas and garlic clove in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.
Toasted Corn Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place corn tortillas directly on oven racks and toast for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Serve whole or broken into chips.
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 280mg | Fiber: 6g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!