Blueberry Cheesecake Bites
My parents were around in full force this summer. It was a huge help to me but it also meant my kids were exposed to a whole host of foods that mommy does not want them eating. Let’s see, there was the day that Kenya
innocently told me that my father bought him “some” gum at the car wash (sugar free Trident with Aspartame to be exact). We later found Chloe playing unusually quietly and chewing something. Next to her were 15 empty gum wrappers. When we asked her where everything went that was in the wrappers she said, “in my tummy”. Then there were the times my dad let Kenya order “a drink in a red can that was really sweet with bubbles in it,” but of course Kenya was told to not say anything to me. Are you starting to see a pattern here with my dad and his knowledge
of what is and is not ok to feed kids?
Or how about the day that I made these Blueberry Cheesecake Bites and Kenya said, “Grandpa took me to the Cheesecake Factory. I love cheesecake.” Now, I have nothing against cheesecake — it was one of my favorite desserts as a kid — but I get cavities just thinking about the mounds of sugar that most recipes call for. This version is different and has become one of my kids’ new favorite sweet treats. Since they are bite-sized, contain no refined sugar, have tons of fresh blueberries and even a whole wheat and oat crust, I feel a lot better offering these to my kids for dessert than a lot of the alternatives.
Blueberry Cheesecake Bites
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 1 minute Total Time 1 hour 55 minutesfrom votesSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- To make the crust, place the first 3 ingredients in a food processor and pulse to chop oats.
- Add the butter and pulse to combine.
- Press the crust on the bottom of a parchment-lined 8 x 8 baking dish and flatten evenly with your hands. Bake for 10 minutes to set, then allow to cool.
- Lower the oven temperature to 250 F.
- To make the filling, place the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and beat to combine.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter on top of the crust and bake for 1 hour.
- Cool and then chill until ready to serve.
- Cut into squares and serve.*
- *To get clean squares, wipe your knife between each slice.
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 45mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 17g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!