Breakfast Chex Mix
When I was a little girl, our sweet 80 year old next door neighbor, Mrs. Wolf, used to invite me over to her house all the time. I would frequently spend hours talking with her, playing with her dog, Mugsie, and eating the yummy snacks she would serve me. My favorite thing she made was her savory Chex mix. She would bake huge cookie tins full of it and send me home with pounds of it to munch on all week.
Some mornings Kenya isn’t ready to eat breakfast by the time we need to leave for his gymnastics or music class, so I always have to have a go-to snack on hand that is easy for me to grab on a moment’s notice and even easier for Kenya to eat while in his car seat. And, of course, it’s got to be healthy. So, I decided to revisit my childhood and make a breakfast style Chex mix. This recipe is a great way for him to get carbohydrates, protein, fruit and fiber all in one snack before he heads out for a busy morning of play.
I can imagine Mrs. Wolf would be happy to know she inspired me to send off Kenya as happy well-fed as she used to send me.
Breakfast Chex Mix
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 1 minute Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 Cups Wheat Chex
- 2 Cups Rice Chex
- 2 Cups Bran Chex
- 2 Cups O’s cereal
- 1 Cup slivered almonds
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 Cup honey
- 2 Cup dried bananas, blueberries, cherries, raisins
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place all the cereals and nuts in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Place the butter in a 13 x 9 inch pan and melt in the oven.
- Once the butter has melted, add the honey to the butter and whisk together.
- Pour the cereals into the butter/honey mixture and stir to combine.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Add the dried fruit to the cereal mixture and toss to combine.
- * Store in a sealed container
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 100mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!