Broccoli Cheddar Patties
Say hello to a delightful recipe that’s designed to win over even the pickiest eaters – Broccoli Cheddar Patties! These flavorful bites pack the goodness of nutrient-rich broccoli and the irresistible allure of cheese. Get ready to serve up a kid-friendly dish that transforms vegetables into a scrumptious and nutritious recipe your children will happily devour.
I’m an obsessive magazine reader. In fact, my constant jones for magazines is almost as bad as my lifelong addiction to cookbooks. At any given time you can find at least a dozen magazines, just within reaching distance, piled high on my night table. One of my favorites is Los Angeles Magazine and when their Farmer’s Market edition arrived in the mail this month, I was like a baby being given a huge piece of candy.
One of the best articles in the issue was an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended) of shopping at an everyday chain grocer, an upscale chain grocer and a farmers’ market for the same amount of vegetables for a roast vegetable dish. The goal of the experiment was to see not only which vegetables cost the least, but also tasted the best.
It probably comes as no surprise to you that I wouldn’t have written this post unless the farmers’ market was the hands down winner! It won handily, for both cost and flavor! That made me especially happy since I frequently confront the misperception that farmers’ markets are more expensive than super markets.
At this time of year when you can easily find things like potatoes, broccoli and cheese to make this delicious side dish, I hope you can find them where you’re able to get the freshest produce possible!
Broccoli Cheddar Patties
Say hello to a delightful recipe that’s designed to win over even the pickiest eaters – Broccoli Cheddar Patties! These flavorful bites pack the goodness of nutrient-rich broccoli and the irresistible allure of cheese.
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeServings: 4Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 16 minutes Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons panko or bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup panko or bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- Place the potato cubes in a steamer pot over boiling water and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the steamer pot and steam the vegetables for an additional 2 minutes, or until they are fork tender. Then, remove everything from the pot and allow them to cool.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl and chop the broccoli florets into bite-size pieces.
- Add the broccoli, cheese, panko, salt, egg, garlic and onion powder to the bowl and combine.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of panko in a separate bowl
- Using an ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoon measure, roll the mixture into balls, coat them in the panko and then shape each one into a small patty.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat, place the patties in the skillet and press down with a spatula to flatten a little.
- Pan-fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden.
- To Freeze: After Step 6, place the patties on a baking sheet and freeze for one hour. Transfer the patties to zipper bags and label. Defrost when ready to use and cook following step #7.
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 125mg | Sodium: 850mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!