Brown Rice Crispy Treats
These Brown Rice Crispy Treats are a healthier version of the popular snack and one of our family’s favorites! They’re super easy to make and actually packed with protein. Plus they’re a great recipe for getting kids involved in kitchen!
Eating and making Rice Krispy treats are a cooking right of passage for all kids — even the ones who don’t like to cook. It’s a lot of fun to do and making sweet, gooey goodies doesn’t get much easier than the that.
Still, just take a minute to look at what’s in a regular Rice Krispy treat and your head will spin. Don’t get me wrong, I love the old fashioned kind, but the thought of marshmallows made with cups of corn syrup made me think twice about making them for my little ones.
Still, the thought of them missing out on this kids classic broke my heart, so we came up with a version that’s actually healthy without giving up any of the flavor of the original. Recently, I brought a batch of the weelicious version for Gemma and her friends to test out. Normally I would feel guilty about showing up so late in the afternoon with sweet treats for the kids (I hate getting the evil eye from other moms), but these snacks are different.
Since they’re made with peanut butter (or almond butter) and brown rice, that means they’re packed with protein and a healthy carbohydrate. So, the next time you want a sweet treat that you secretly know is good for your kids, try making these and watch the huge smiles all over everyone’s faces!
And if you’re looking for more healthy sweet treats try out my Flourless Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins, Watermelon Slushie, or Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites.
Brown Rice Crispy Treats
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 2 minutes Total Time 7 minutes
- 2/3 cup rice syrup
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 3 1/2 cups organic crispy brown rice cereal
- In a large sauce pan, heat brown rice syrup, almond and peanut butter over low heat and whisk until melted and combined, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour over rice crispies in a large bowl.
- Stir with a plastic spatula until completely combined.
- Pour into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan and press down to flatten the top (sometimes I put a zip lock bag on my hand like a glove, to press into the pan and flatten the treats).
- Cool for 5 minutes and cut into bars.
Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 60mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!