Caprese Quesadillas are the perfect kid-friendly way to serve Caprese! Melty mozzarella cheese, fresh heirloom tomatoes and basil make this quesadilla one for the books.
Among the foods that are easy sells in our house, cheese, tomatoes and tortillas all rank high in the top ten. Summer is here and between the juicy heirloom tomatoes now appearing all over our local farmer’s market (so sweet they taste like candy) and the aromatic, fresh basil growing like a weed in our garden, that can only mean one thing… Caprese Quesadillas are going to be in heavy rotation come mealtime!
I love a caprese sandwich, which is mozzarella, tomato, basil and just a dash of olive oil, normally on Italian bread. For kids though, caprese sandwiches can be tough to eat because the mozzarella tends to fall out, making the whole sandwich eating thing somewhat frustrating. But that’s no reason to deprive your kids of great Caprese. By simply substituting tortillas for the bread and adding a little heat to melt the cheese, you’ve got the great taste of caprese in an easy-to-hold, kid-friendly format. It’s a blend of two great cuisines that come together beautifully.
I’ve made a few kid-friendly versions of caprese for Weelicious like Fruit Caprese Kabobs and Caprese Quiche and they’ve all been big hits with my 3 little ones. After I made this quesadilla, I was inspired to make more interesting quesadilla recipes like this crowd pleasing Breakfast Quesadilla. It just goes to show, when you “break” the rules, food can get a little more exciting!
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 1 minute Cook Time 6 minutes Total Time 7 minutes
- 4 tortillas corn or flour tortillas
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 basil leaves, julienned
- Place one tortilla in a medium- large dry pan (larger than the size of the tortilla) over medium heat.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese over tortilla and place half (about 4 or 5) tomato slices over cheese.
- Sprinkle another 1/4 cup of cheese over tomato slices followed by half of the julienned basil leaves.
- Top with another tortilla and heat through, about 3 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted and tortilla is slightly toasted.
- Repeat for the second quesadilla.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 470mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!