This Cheesy Popcorn is so simple, it’s sure to become you and your kids’ favorite afternoon or even late night snack!
I have many great childhood food memories. I remember as a child, my brother and I would run into our house exhausted from a long day of school and play. Never missing a beat, my mother would have a big bowl of popcorn waiting for us. To this day, my brother still adores popcorn ands eats it almost every day after work as a snack.
Most people think of popcorn as something they only eat at the movies, but I’ve always looked at it as the perfect healthy and inexpensive snack. Popcorn is high in fiber and low in calories and fat, which also makes it a great food for kids.
Although popcorn is naturally yummy, a lot of people smother it with salt, butter or worse, that awful hydrogenated orange goop at movie theaters that tries to pass itself off as butter. My mother used to sprinkle ours with cheese powder. Delicious, yes, but also made from who knows what. Why not try sprinkling your popcorn with nutritional yeast? I realize that just the word “yeast” sounds scary, but it’s an amazing product packed with protein and B vitamins. It is low in fat and calories and it’s tiny flakes taste just like cheese. If you also sprinkle on a tiny bit of Braggs, low sodium soy sauce or a little bit of real butter, the flakes adhere even better to the popcorn.
Just give this snack a try and I promise you and your kids will be addicted to it too!
*It’s advisable to give kids under the age of 4 popcorn only if you’re with them since it can be a choking hazard. I just make sure that Kenya chews it really well!
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeCook Time 5 minutes Total Time 5 minutes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 Cup corn kernels
- 1 Tbsp Braggs (you could also use butter)
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast (can be found at health food stores)
- Heat a large pot with a handle over medium high heat and coat the bottom with the oil.
- Place the popcorn inside the pot, close the lid and shake the pot continuously until you no longer hear the corn popping, about 4-5 minutes.
- Once the popcorn is popped, remove from the pot and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp of Braggs Amino Acids and the nutritional yeast to allow the ingredients to stick together.
- Toss and serve.
- *It’s advisable to give kids under the age of 4 popcorn only if you’re with them since it can be a choking hazard. I just make sure that Kenya chews it really well!
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 15mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 1g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!