Chicken Summer Rolls
Coming up with new and exciting recipes for kids to take to school can be tough. Picky eaters, special diets, food allergies….if that’s you, you really need to think outside the box (the lunch box, that is) when you’re making their meals so things don’t get boring for your little ones. For example, I know several kids who, for a variety of reasons, are on gluten free diets these days. That adds a whole creative dynamic to their parents culinary situation. So, I came up with these chicken summer rolls which I think are perfect lunch treat for those who need to avoid gluten.
These rolls are filled with protein and vegetables and then wrapped tightly with a light and airy rice paper that makes them fun for kids to eat. Part of the treat is the nutty Asian-inspired dipping sauce they can dip the rolls in. Kenya likes the sauce so much he always tries to drink it out of the container like a soup. Classy!
Chicken Summer Rolls
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeServings: 10 rollsPrep Time 5 minutes Total Time 5 minutes
- 2 Cups Chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 Medium Carrot, julienned
- 1 Persian or 1/3 English Cucumber, julienned
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint and or Thai Basil, julienned
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- sea or kosher salt, to taste
- 10 Boston or Bibb Lettuce Leaves
- 10 8 1/2 inch Rice Paper Wrappers
- greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup peanut or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Place the first 7 ingredients in a bowl to thoroughly combine.
- Place warm water in a large bowl.
- Place 2 rice paper wrappers at a time in the warm water and let soak for 20 seconds or until soft.
- Place on a cutting board or clean surface and blot with a towel or paper towel to remove some of the excess water. Place a piece of lettuce on the bottom two-thirds of the rice paper and 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on top.
- Roll one side of the rice paper over the chicken mixture into a cylinder and then fold in the sides and continue rolling into an “egg roll” shape.
- Wrap the summer rolls in saran wrap or in an air tight container if sending with your little one to school or serve.
- For the peanut sauce, place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
Cook’s Note: Rice paper wrappers can be found in Asian markets and at gourmet stores. Soak and work with only 1 rice wrapper at a time because wrappers will stick together and won’t be easy to work with if they absorb too much water. If not served right away, keep rolls tightly covered to prevent the rice wrappers from drying out.
Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 30mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!