Cinnamon Pizza Buns
I still vividly remember going to the mall as a kid and being seduced by the incredible smell of hot cinnamon buns coming out of the ovens at Cinnabon. I was totally the child who opted for a big, fat, gooey cinnamon roll over anything else in the food court. Even now when I pass a Cinnabon, I always pause to inhale the spicy wafts of warm cinnamon bread being drowned in creamy icing.
Homemade cinnamon buns, while an enticing thought, are also a ton of work. Although I’ve tried my hand at them several times, some things are just worth buying as a special treat when you’re out and about. Plus, the last thing I need is to have a batch of homemade Cinnabon-style buns testing my willpower every time I walk in the kitchen.
This is my slightly healthier version of a cinnamon bun which uses pizza dough for the bread and whipped cream cheese, honey and a mix of chopped dried fruit for the filling.
For a weekend brunch or special breakfast Cinnamon Pizza Buns are a mouthwatering treat that don’t require a trip to the mall!
Cinnamon Pizza Buns
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeServings: 10 rollsPrep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 25 minutes
- 16 ounces white or whole wheat pizza dough or 1/2 recipe whole wee-eat pizza dough
- 3/4 cup whipped cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups chopped dried fruit (i use raisins, cherries, cranberries and apricots)
- chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Roll out pizza dough into a 10 x 20-inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese, honey and cinnamon.
- Spread cream cheese mixture in an even layer across surface of dough.
- Sprinkle with dried fruit (and nuts, if desired).
- Beginning at the 20-inch side roll up into a cylinder and then cut into 2-inch thick discs (rolls).
- Place rolls in greased muffins cups or on a greased baking sheet and pat down slightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, allow to cool slightly and serve.
Calories: 220kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 230mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 17g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!