Classic Macaroni and Cheese
If you’re looking for a side dish that is classic and perfect for a special occasion, look no further than this Classic Macaroni and Cheese recipe!
Is there a more beloved kid’s dinner than Macaroni and Cheese? Ooey gooey and super cheesy, it combines two of the most kid-welcomed foods — pasta and cheese! This dish rarely requires moms to cajole, persuade or bribe their kids to eat at mealtime. I love this recipe because it’s so easy to make and always gets a big “yay!” from my kids when they find out I’m making it!
Is Mac and Cheese the healthiest dinner choice? Of course not. Would I recommend serving it more than once a week? Probably not. But when made well, perhaps with some veggies thrown in, like this Green Mac and Cheese, it’s certainly a far better meal option than say, a Happy Meal.
Whenever my mom made mac and cheese, which wasn’t super often, it was cause for celebration in our house. The first smell of it cooking away in the oven would make my entire day. She lovingly made her’s with tons of hand-grated cheddar and baked it until bubbly, golden and mouthwateringly delicious. I love seeing the same level of excitement on my kids’ faces when I make it for our family!
There are several different macaroni and cheese recipes on Weelicious like Rice Cooker Mac and Cheese and Mac Chicken and Cheese Bites, but if you’re feeding a crowd and want a more classic take on this dish, this recipe is spot on! It’s super easy to make and bakes until perfectly golden and bubbly. Plus the panko topping adds the perfect crunch and is simply delicious. You’ll have all of your guests asking for this recipe after they try it!
Let me know in the comments what you think and tag me on social media if you make this dish!
Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 40 minutes Total Time 55 minutesfrom 1 voteSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Mac and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (you can also use campanelle, cavatappi, or shells)
- Place the topping ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Cook pasta in salted water* for about 3 minutes less than package directions call for, until al dente, reserving half a cup of the pasta water.
- In a large pot melt the butter and then add the flour, whisking continuously over low-medium heat for 2-3 minutes to make a roux.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is gently bubbling and starting to thicken.
- Add reserved pasta water and cheddar cheese and whisk until melted.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Transfer to a greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish.**
- Sprinkle topping on macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden and bubbling.
- * Use about 2 Tbsp of kosher salt for 4 quarts of water.
- ** If making ahead, mixture can be cooled after this step to room temperature, covered and then refrigerated for up to a day.
Calories: 640kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 31g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 590mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!