Corn Dog Muffin Bites
Corn Dog Muffin Bites take this classic American food and make it even more fun!
One of the original meals-on-a-stick, corn dogs are something I associate with childhood, mall shopping, and summertime. I have a lot of nostalgia surrounding corn dogs, but they’re one of the foods I was hesitant to introduce to my own kids.
Putting a big pot of sizzling oil on the stove to deep fry hot dogs in batter while I have little ones running around the kitchen was enough to make me dare not try a homemade version. I don’t exactly love deep-frying anything, but I do love sharing my childhood favorites with my kids.
Spooning the cornbread batter into mini muffin cups, adding a slice of hot dog, and baking them is a great way to share the nostalgia with your kid! Make your own cornbread batter as I do in the recipe below or use your favorite mix.
Any hot dogs or sausage will work here, so choose your own adventure! You can easily find healthier hot dogs in any grocery these days, even vegetarian options. Serve with an array of dips to add to the fun of this childhood classic!
Corn Dog Muffin Bites are a fun change of pace for school lunch or even a quick dinner! Tag me @weelicious on social media so I can see your kiddos enjoying this recipe.
Corn Dog Muffin Bites
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 14 minutes Total Time 19 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 veggie hot dogs, cut into 1/2-inch coins (you can also use turkey or beef)
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, buttermilk, eggs and oil.
- Pour the dry cornmeal mixture into the wet ingredients and thoroughly combine with a whisk.*
- Grease muffin cups with cooking spray, softened butter or oil on a paper towel and then pour one tablespoon batter into greased mini muffin cups. I use two 24-cup mini muffins pans!
- Lay hot dog slices cut-side down in the center of each batter-filled muffin cup.
- Top with an additional tablespoon of batter.
- Bake until starting to turn golden, about 14 minutes.
- Add popsicle sticks after baked and serve.
- * Boxed cornbread mix also works great in this recipe. Follow the directions of the boxed mix, prepare enough batter to yield at least 40 mini muffins and skip to step 5 to continue making the bites.
Calories: 60kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 150mg | Sugar: 2g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!