Gluten Free Eggplant Lasagna
Eggplant Lasagna is a healthy and delicious vegetarian weeknight meal. Layers and layers of eggplant, tomato sauce and parmesan cheese make this dish irresistible!
As the years go on, more and more families who follow weelicious follow a vegetarian diet (including mine!) so I’m always up for creating meatless recipes that are simple to prepare while also being balanced, nutritious, satisfying and down right tasty! This Eggplant Lasagna is one we tackled recently, and I have to say, it fits the bill.
We ordered Eggplant Lasagna at one of our favorite Italian restaurants recently and the kids went gaga for it. Layer after layer of eggplant with tomato sauce, and parmesan cheese throughout it felt more like a lasagna than the classic I generally expect. Within days I was buying big globe eggplant to make my version of Eggplant Lasagna for dinner.
After a few attempts, I think I nailed it considering the entire dish was eaten in one sitting. So much for leftovers! This Eggplant Lasagna has an added bonus by being gluten and egg free for those wanting to avoid certain foods too, so it’s a win win all the way around! Serve with a Kale Avocado or Very Berry Spinach Salad and you’ve got a complete meal to suit everyone’s tastes!
Some tips for nailing this recipe:
- Eggplant contains a lot of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes with salt on top of it to draw out the moisture. This helps the slices now turn out gummy or spongey and helps the lasagna not come out of the oven too watery.
- Some recipes leave out roasting the eggplant before layering the lasagna, but roasting the eggplant whether it’s in the oven or a skillet further helps dry out the eggplant and is a crucial step!
- Lastly, if you were wondering… don’t worry about peeling the eggplant. Just slice and go!
Next time your on the hunt for a comforting and satisfying meatless entree, this Eggplant Lasagna should be your go-to. Let me know what you think if you make it by tagging me on social media!
Gluten Free Eggplant Lasagna
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeServings: 5Prep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 40 minutes Total Time 1 hour
- 2 pounds eggplant, firmer the better
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 28 ounce can plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- 1.Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Trim eggplant and slice into 1/2” pieces. Sprinkle both sides of each slice with salt and let sit for 10 minutes (this helps remove moisture from the eggplant before cooking), then blot off any extra moisture with a paper towel.
- Coat bottom of a large skillet with oil (about 3 tablespoons) and place over medium heat. When the oil is hot, carefully add the eggplant. Cook until bottoms are golden, about 5 minutes, then flip slices and cook until bottoms are golden, about 9-10 minutes total.. Remove slices to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil. Return pan to the heat.
- If there is no more oil left in the pan, add 1 tbsp of oil along with the onion and garlic over low to medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until onions start to soften. Add the tomatoes, season to taste and add the red pepper flakes (if using). Bring just to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- When the sauce is ready, make a layer of eggplant at the bottom of a baking dish, followed by a layer of tomato sauce, then cheese, then eggplant, tomato sauce, cheese. Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with basil if desired.
Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!