Garbanzo Burgers are packed with protein, low in fat and high in dietary fiber, so they’re a great addition to anyone’s diet – vegetarian or not!
Kenya loves burgers, but since becoming a vegetarian, has not eaten them very often. So, I figured, why not try a garbanzo burger? Garbanzo beans provide tons of fiber and are a great source of protein, which is really important when eating a vegetarian diet.
Even better, these burgers cost very little to make (especially when compared to buying meat or remade veggie burgers), freeze beautifully (so you can make them and keep them on hand for whenever your crew feels like burgers) and make everyone smile when they take a bite!
It’s also super fun to let your crew choose their favorite toppings for their burgers. What toppings will you add to your garbanzo burgers? We’re an avocado, tomato, sumac yogurt sauce style family, but would love to hear your faves!
Does your family love burgers as much as mine? We probably have turkey burgers once a week or Sunny Side Up Veggie Burgers. They’re super delicious! What is your favorite type of burger?
Photos by Gerry Speirs
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 10 minutes Total Time 20 minutesfrom 1 voteSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs (I used whole grain)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (I used toasted sesame seeds)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Place garbanzo bean mixture in a bowl and combine with the bread crumbs and sesame seeds.
- Place 1/4 cup of mixture in your hands and form into patties (I used an ice cream scooper to portion the patties-mixture will be moist).
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Cook the patties for 5 minutes.
- Turn the patties, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- *You can place these on buns, although I served them with a slice of avocado on top and dipped them in lemon yogurt sauce.
- To Freeze: After step 3, place patties on a sheet tray and freeze for 30 minutes. Then transfer to a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours then follow steps 4-7.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 450mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!