Gingerbread Cookies are a Holiday classic for a reason! They’re just as delicious as they are adorable and make a great activity with kids for the Holidays!
It was always a tradition when I was growing up to make holiday cookies come this time of year. I used to love rolling out the sugar cookie and gingerbread dough with my mother, cutting the cookies into fun shapes and then decorating them.
I wanted to continue that tradition with my own kids, but the thought of making cookies with tons of sugar didn’t seem like such a good idea (kids jumping off the walls at bed time never appeals to me), so we stuck with gingerbread. This recipe does have some sugar, but not a lot. It also contains molasses, which is full or iron, a bonus for kids.
This recipe makes dozens of cookies (more or less, depending on the size of the cookie cutters you use), so you’ll have plenty for friends and your family during the holidays.
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 20 minutes Cook Time 10 minutes Refrigerator Time: 2 hours Total Time 2 hours 30 minutes
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Unsulphered Molasses (to prevent molasses from sticking to measuring cup, first spray the cup with a non stick veggie spray)
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- With a standing mixer using the paddle attachment OR by hand, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and molasses, beating until combined.
- Gradually add the flour to the butter, beating until combined.
- Divide the dough in half and form into 2 disks. Refrigerate in plastic wrap or parchment paper for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpats.
- On a lightly floured surface OR between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll out one of the disks until it’s 1/4 thick all around.
- Cut out cookies with different shapes (gingerbread men, stars, christmas tree, etc) and using a spatula transfer cookie to the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack. Decorate the cookies after they have cooled.
- Place ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place in a ziplock bag and cut a tiny whole at one end to squeeze and draw with the icing.
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 50mg | Sugar: 5g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!