If you’ve never baked cookies with your kids, this is a perfect starter recipe. The best part is that there’s no eggs in this Graham Cracker recipe dough, so you can let your kids roll, cut out shapes and enjoy a taste of the dough AND the final baked product!
It’s not that I make everything our family eats from scratch, but I do try to make as many of the sweet treats my kids eat as possible. I recently realized that Kenya had never eaten a graham cracker before. How is that possible?!
Graham crackers are like a total cookie rite of passage for kids! When I was Kenya’s age, I think I ate them every day of my life. So, my next recipe challenge was born.
It’s not that I’m against pre-packaged cookies or crackers (I’ve definitely bought a few boxes in the past two years), but it’s so much more fun to make them with your kids. I have to say this is one of my favorite new sweet treat recipes, especially when it comes to school lunch.
Not only does the recipe make a TON of cookies, but you can cut them out and freeze them to bake as you need them. It takes no time for me to make the dough, roll it out and then let Kenya take over, using mini cookie cutters to pop out the sweetest, crispiest graham crackers I’ve ever tasted. They reminded me of the ones I used to eat as a kid, but even better!
Homemade Graham Crackers are a fun activity to make with your kids and are perfect for a quick snack or to put in a school lunch for a treat!
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 15 minutes Total Time 25 minutesfrom votesSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 ups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled & cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor or mixer combine the first 6 ingredients.
- Add cubed and chilled butter to the mix and pulse/mix until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add honey and water and continue to mix until it all combines.
- Remove and shape the dough into a flat disk and place between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Roll dough out until 1/4 inch thick. Cut into crackers or shapes.
- Place cookies on a Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
- To Freeze: After step 6, place the cut out cookie shapes on a baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes. Remove, place in a Ziploc bag, label and freeze for up to 4 months. When ready to bake, follow steps 7-8, adding an additional 1-2 minutes baking time.
- ** If you have no Whole Wheat, you can use 1 Cup Oat Bran to 2 Cups AP Flour instead of what the recipe calls for and it works perfect!
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 90mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!