Lasagna Rolls are a fun take on a classic lasagna! Everyone in the family loves when I make these because having your own roll is like having your own personal cheesy, saucy and delicious lasagna!
Growing up, one of my favorite recipes of my mother’s was her lasagna. It was always a special dinner when she made it. Now that I’m a mom, I love making lasagna for my own family. It’s a hearty and healthy dish that turns any meal into a special occasion. Recently, I wanted to send the kids to school with some for lunch. I decided to play around a bit and make these lasagna rolls.
They’re really fun for kids because the lasagnas are individual portions and kids feel special when they get anything that is their “own”. They’re also great for mom and dad because they fit snugly in your little one’s lunchbox with out making a mess. The best part about this dish? It’s got a carbohydrate, vegetable, protein and dairy so you know your family is eating a balanced meal all in one dish!
Of course, this recipe can also be made into a classic layered lasagna instead of rolls. More detailed instructions are below, but essentially instead of rolling you just layer the lasagna sheets. It’s super simple and a fun cooking activity do you with your kids whether you make rolls or layered!
I love this recipe too because it includes a veggie in it, and I’m always trying to get vegetables in my kids’ diets. This lasagna is a great way to do it! You can use cooked spinach, broccoli or even zucchini! Have your little ones help you rolls up the lasagna sheets and make their “own” meal. They’ll be so excited when it comes out of the oven!
If you looking for other kid-friendly pasta dishes, try out my Puttanesca recipe or Pasta Mama. And as always, let me know what you think of these Lasagna Rolls and tag me on social media if you make them!
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 45 minutes Total Time 55 minutesfrom votesSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- 9 lasagna noodles (I cook 1 extra in case they tear while boiling)
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese (I used part skim ricotta)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked and finely chopped spinach and/or broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook lasagna noodles in salted water 2 minutes less than package directions call for and rinse with cold water.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk the egg, ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan, italian herbs, salt 1/2 cup mozzarella and broccoli or spinach to combine.
- Place 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9×11 inch baking dish.
- Spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle, covering the sheet and roll up jelly roll style.
- Place the lasagna rolls seam side down in the baking dish and top with remaining marinara sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook until cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- * You can also prepare the dish through step 6, cover and freeze. When ready to eat, bake for 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.
- ** To prepare as a baked lasagna, following directions through step 4. Layer sheets of lasagna in a 9×11 inch pan followed by 3 sheets of lasagna, ricotta mixture alternating using all of the ingredients and topping with marinara. Top with mozzarella and bake covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 15 more minutes until golden and bubbly. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and cut into squares.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 860mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!