Every few months I create recipes for Parents Magazine (my essential read for parents of young kids — each issue since I was pregnant has resided on my night stand and I read them all cover to cover). For the June 2011 issue I developed the recipes for “Pasta Passport — Nutritious Noodle Dishes From Around the Word”, and “visited” Thailand, China, Mexico, Japan and Italy. This Mexican Vermicelli was my south of the border inspired entry.
I love noodle dishes because with just a few simple ingredients you can produce a seemingly exotic family meal that’s easy to throw together and doesn’t cut into your time or budget. And since Kenya and Chloe will inhale any type of noodle that’s long and slurp-able, it’s never a hard sell for me. Bon Voyage!
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeServings: 4Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 35 minutes
- 1/2 Pkg Vermicelli, cut in half
- 1 16 oz Jar Mild Chunky Salsa
- 2 Cups Cooked Chicken, cubed (about 2 chicken breasts)
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 Cup Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook vermicelli according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse noodles under cold water and place in a large bowl.
- Add salsa, chicken, cilantro, and 3/4 cup of cheese to the noodles and toss to combine.
- Place noodle mixture into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Cool and serve.
Calories: 470kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 910mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!