Oatmeal On-The-Go Bars
As any parent of young children will attest to, it’s hard getting out the door in the morning. As much as I try to make sure that I have prepared school lunch the night before, laid out the kids’ clothes, packed bags and so on, breakfast can all too often become an afterthought. At least once every two weeks I make a batch of these Oatmeal-On-The-Go Bars so I always have them on hand. They’re a simple-to-make. healthy morning treat that can be served at the breakfast table or even in to-go containers. Packed with oats, dried fruits and nuts and moist from the apple sauce they make a balanced morning meal that there is always time for!
I eat oatmeal EVERY day. I’m actually eating a bowl of it right now as I write this post — no joke. Oatmeal is one of my favorite foods, not only because it’s heart healthy and nutritious, but also because it’s nutritious, filling and beyond easy to make — which is perfect for moms that are constantly on-the-go. But I’m not the only one in our house who loves oatmeal. At breakfast, Kenya asks for oatmeal as often as he asks for pancakes, omelets and waffles.
I wanted to come up with a recipe using oatmeal that would be perfect for those days that you’re racing out the door and don’t have time to cook (I think that’s most mornings for many of us). I liked the idea of doing breakfast bars since almost every mom I know always has a LARA, Clif, or Odwala bar in their bag for themselves alongside their wallets, diapers, wipes, and sippy cups.
These bars are different from the brands I just mentioned — they are essentially oatmeal in bar form, but they are equally delicious. Just prepare a batch and keep them in the fridge for several days. All you have to do as you’re heading out for the day is grab a few bars for you and your kids and you’re set.
For all of you “on-the-go” moms, this bar’s for you.
Oatmeal On-The-Go Bars
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 35 minutes
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk (any kind of milk will work)
- 3 tablespoons agave or honey
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, blueberries, and/or cherries)
- 1/2 cup nuts (walnuts, sunflower seeds, and/or pepitas)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the first 5 dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix the milk, applesauce, egg, agave, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, stir to combine and then stir in the dried fruits and nuts.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into a buttered or greased 7 x 11 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until thickened and golden.
- Cool, cut into squares and serve.
- *Allow to cool, cut into squares and place in a ziploc bag to freeze up to 4 months. When ready, allow to defrost in fridge for 24-48 hours.
- *Refrigerating the bars will make them last up to 5 days.
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 55mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!