On the Go Snack Tips
Snack time is always a challenge when you’re on the go. I’ve put together some of my favorite tips for making snack time healthy and fun while also being simple enough to take with you anytime, anywhere.
Here are some of my favorite tips for snack time:
- When you’re traveling or even running around with kids and want to give them snacks, a fun box is a great way to have variety without a ton of bags and boxes
- This type of container is a great way to offer moderation. The small compartments include a few bites of each snack, so they’re forced to try a variety of foods. Plus, since this type of container is see through its easy to pick your choice.
- Think color and texture. Kids eat with their eyes first so go with fruits, veggies and other snacks that are brightly colored or crunchy.
- Attempt to pick nutrient dense snacks. Think foods like nuts, seeds, whole grain cereal, pretzels, dried fruit, freeze dried fruits and vegetables, yogurt covered nuts or anything else your kid loves.
- It’s also great for adults who tend to be in the car often
With spring and summer break upon us and lots of us potentially traveling, this snack box strategy is a great way to plan ahead and have food ready to go for when anyone inevitable gets “hangry”. These boxes are easy to refill and pack with your other bags.
If you’re still struggling with what to include in your snack box, these are some of my favorites:
- Rice cakes
- Seaweed snack
- Bananas, apples, pears, grapes and other seasonal fruits
- Dried fruits (raisins, dried cranberries, cherries or blueberries)
- Freeze dried fruits
- No Bake Cookie Dough Balls
- Carrot Snack Sticks
- Nuts (slivered or chopped for toddlers)
- Whole grain crackers
- Protein Balls
- A handful of whole grain cereal
- Pita chips
- Bagel chips
- Protein bars (homemade or brands such as Lara or Kind bars)
- Fruit leather (homemade or store bought)
Snack time doesn’t have to be a hassle! In fact it can be simple and fun. Let me know what you’re putting in your snack boxes by tagging me on social media or leaving a comment!