Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes
Experience the taste of summer with this Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes recipe. Bursting with juicy peaches and ripe strawberries with a perfectly crumbly shortcake, these delectable treats are the perfect summertime dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth.
If there’s one food that always brings me straight back to my childhood, it’s strawberry shortcake. The combination of strawberries and peaches just brings this family favorite to an entirely new level! During the winter months, I find myself dreaming of juicy, colorful fruit that only grace our farmers market in the warmer months of summer. Nectarines, melons, apricots, figs, berries of all kinds… and of course, peaches and strawberries! When the vendors start bringing out these fruits at the beginning of the season, I can’t help but get giddy. As soon as I get home, Kenya, Chloe and Gemma are already scheming which fruits they’ll eat first and what recipes they want to make with them. And let me just say, this recipe does NOT disappoint.
Why I Love This Recipe
Summertime Delight: Strawberry and peach shortcakes capture the essence of summer, offering a refreshing and fruity dessert that celebrates the abundance of seasonal produce.
Easy to Make: With simple and straightforward preparation, making strawberry and peach shortcakes is a breeze. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, you can enjoy the satisfaction of creating a homemade dessert that is sure to impress.
Kid-Friendly Kitchen Activity: Since these shortcakes are nearly impossible to mess up, they’re a perfect way to get kid’s involved in the kitchen and excited about trying out a potentially new food!
Ingredients for Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes
- Flour. Good ol’ fashioned all purpose flour for this recipe.
- Baking powder. This helps the shortcakes rise quickly and gives them the perfect fluffy and light texture.
- Sugar. To add a little sweetness to the shortcake dough.
- Kosher salt. Because every baked good still needs a little salt.
- Unsalted butter. Keep the butter COLD! That’s what makes these have that perfect texture with some nice little pockets of buttery flavor.
- Whole milk. This adds some moisture to the dough.
- Peaches. Go for perfectly ripe peaches. They’re the most naturally sweet and delicious of course!
- Strawberries. Again, look for the most ripe strawberries for this recipe. They’re the star of this recipe along with the peaches.
- Plain greek yogurt. Instead of whipped cream which is traditional on shortcakes, I go for a delicious honey yogurt sauce on top.
- Vanilla extract & honey. To sweeten the greek yogurt topping.
How to Make Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes
- Prep the oven and ingredients. Preheat oven to 400° F and gather all the ingredients necessary.
- Combine dry ingredients: Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a food processor and combine.
- Add butter and milk. Add the cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Place the mixture in a bowl, make a well in the center and pour in the milk. With a fork, slowly stir until the ingredients are just combined.
- Knead the dough. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead about 5 times.
- Form the shortcakes. Pat the dough out into a rectangle and cut out about eight 3-inch rounds using a circular cookie cutter or the rim of a glass.
- Bake. Place the rounds on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 17 -19 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Make fruit mixture. In a separate bowl, combine the peaches and strawberries.
- Make honey yogurt. In another bowl, mix the yogurt, vanilla and honey.
- Build the shortcakes. Cut shortcake in half through the middle, place a large spoonful of fruit mixture in the center, a heaping of yogurt honey sauce and top with the remaining shortcake half. Continue making the shortcakes and serve.
Tips and FAQs
- Ripe strawberries and peaches are a must. Ripe strawberries are bright red all the way through and peaches will be slightly soft to the touch if they’re ripe and ready. You can leave peaches on the counter for a few days to continue to ripen if needed!
- Want whipped cream instead of honey yogurt? No worries! I know whipped cream is traditionally what’s served with shortcakes so of course you can use that instead of the honey yogurt that this recipe calls for.
- How do you store leftover shortcakes? Wrap leftover shortcakes in foil or place in an airtight container. They will stay fresh on the counter for up to 4 days. You can keep extra peaches, strawberries and honey yogurt in the fridge.
- If you want a sweeter shortcake. Brush the tops lightly with milk and sprinkle some sugar on the rounds before baking.
Recipes for Peaches and Strawberries
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
- Strawberry Muffins
- Peach Snack Cake
- Chicken, Peach & Bell Pepper Skewers
- Strawberry Peach Smoothie
These Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes are pure heaven. I have a strong feeling that they are about to become a staple for any summer gathering we have. With how easy these are to make, and how happy they make my family, I’m looking forward to making batch after batch!
Images by Ivan Solis
Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes
Juicy strawberries, ripe peaches and honey vanilla yogurt with a light and fluffy shortcake is the ultimate summer dessert everyone will want over and over again!
Course: DessertServings: 8Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 17 minutes Total Time 27 minutesfrom 1 voteSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- Food Processor
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 peach, pitted and diced
- 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the first 4 ingredients into a food processor and combine.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place the mixture in a bowl, make a well in the center and pour in the milk. With a fork, slowly stir until the ingredients are just combined.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead about 5 times.
- Pat the dough out into a rectangle and cut out about eight 3-inch rounds using a circular cookie cutter or the rim of a glass.
- Place the rounds on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 17-19 minutes and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine the peaches and strawberries.
- In another bowl, mix the yogurt, vanilla and honey.
- Cut shortcake in half through the middle, place a large spoonful of fruit mixture in the center, a heaping scoop of yogurt honey sauce and top with the remaining shortcake half.
- Continue making the shortcakes and serve.
- For sweeter shortcakes, you can brush the tops lightly with milk and sprinkle some sugar on the rounds before baking if you desire.
- Alternatively you can fill the shortcakes with whipped cream instead of greek yogurt
Calories: 230kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 150mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!