You can only imagine how jazzed Kenya and Chloe were the other day to see these popcorn balls in their school lunch. As we get closer to Halloween I’ve been trying to make the kids a few of our most loved fall recipes and these also seemed like totally the right call for Rewind Wednesday — the day I share with you one of our family fave recipes from the weelicious archives. If you get a chance to make these let me know how it goes in the comments below. I always love to hear from you!
Whenever I want to make an inexpensive, healthy snack, popcorn almost always comes to mind. Kenya and I make popcorn together at least once a week, but last week I decided to change things up a bit for snack time and turn this simple treat into something even more fun and special.
I loved eating popcorn balls when I was growing up, but most recipes for them are loaded with sugar and thus not a great choice for kids. These weelicious popcorn balls are made with high protein nut butter and brown rice syrup, so they’re still plenty sweet like the old fashioned recipe, but much more nutritious and delicious in my opinion.
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeServings: 28 ballsCook Time 1 minute Total Time 10 minutes
- 7 Cups Popcorn (to make popcorn, you can follow the “cheesy popcorn” through step 3)
- 1/2 Cup almond, sunflower or peanut butter
- 1/2 Cup brown rice syrup
- Place the nut butter and rice syrup in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until warm, about 1 minute. You don’t want the mixture to cook or boil, just loosen up a bit so it becomes spreadable.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn in a bowl and with a rubber spatula or using your hands, coat the popcorn with the nut butter mixture.
- Take a small portion (a little less than a 1/4 cup) of the popcorn mixture with slightly wet or damp hands and roll into 1 1/2 inch balls.
Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 25mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!