Mashed Potato Pancakes
These easy Mashed Potato Pancakes are melt in your mouth good and go perfect with a side of applesauce or sour cream.
Of all the new recipes I’ve made recently, these Mashed Potato Pancakes are one of the biggest hits in our kitchen. Potatoes are my favorite because they’re such a versatile food. I always have potatoes on hand and since Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes and Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes are two of our family favorites it’s a no brainer to make a batch of these with any leftover mashed potatoes or store bought if that’s what you have on hand. Gone are the days of letting those leftover spuds go to waste!
I make these for family dinner most often, but they were equally perfect in the kids lunch boxes for school the next day. I’m always trying to use leftovers whenever possible.
I find most kids love to eat anything they can hold in their little hands, so these little cakes are a special treat. They’re delicious served on their own, but when I served them with a side of apple sauce, the fun of eating them seemed to double for Gemma or any younger child as they’re easy to dip.
To get those perfectly crispy edges and soft middles for these, be sure you cook these in a thin layer of oil. Too much oil and your cakes could be a little soggy. Also, letting the mashed potatoes chill for about an hour before you cook them helps the mixture stick together. I promise your family will love this recipe so much, you might find yourself making extra mashed potatoes just so you can make these with the leftovers!
They’re also a delectable side dish for your Thanksgiving table with a gorgeous turkey and orange cranberry sauce or for Hanukkah when you’re hosting a big group of family and friends.
Are you making Mashed Potato Pancakes this week? Tag @weelicious on social media so we can see!
Mashed Potato Pancakes
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 6 minutes Total Time 20 minutes
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, whisked
- 7 tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
- butter or oil, for pan-searing
- Place mashed potatoes, cheese, egg, and 3 tbsp flour in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Take a scoop of the potato mixture and form into patties.
- Place the remaining 4 tbsp of flour on a plate.
- Lightly coat the potato patties in the flour.
- Heat a thin layer of the oil or butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook the potato cakes for 3 minutes on each side for a total of 6 minutes.
- Serve as is or with accompaniments.
- *After step 2, place patties on a baking sheet and place in freezer for 30 minutes then place par-frozen patties in a ziploc bag and freeze up to 4 months. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours and follow steps 3-7.
Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 550mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!