Pumpernickel Tuna Melt
I must admit that I spend WAY too much time in the grocery. When you’re on a first name basis with all the cashiers, managers and hard working staff behind the counters-that’s a tell tale sign. Not only do I probably know the location of every ingredient on every shelf, I have probably used most of them, too. That was until last week when I realized that for too long I had been walking by the cutest, most tasty bread that could not be any more kid-friendly if it tried. Mini pumpernickel toasts can be found hiding in the bread section of your grocery and since they’re mini in size, they’re perfect for little hands (and great for parents trying to control their portion size). When I was a kid, every time my parents took me to a deli, I ordered a sandwich on pumpernickel because I loved it’s dark color and slightly sweet, rich flavor. Tasting this bread brought back great childhood memories.
The other great thing about pumpernickel is that it keeps fresh in the refrigerator longer than most other breads, so once you have it on hand you can make this recipe most any time. I’m betting you already have the rest of the ingredients stocked in your pantry, so throwing these sandwiches together for lunch should be a breeze. I think I’ll make some tomorrow before I head off to the grocery again!
Pumpernickel Tuna Melt
Servings: 2Prep Time 1 minute Cook Time 3 minutes Total Time 4 minutesfrom 1 voteSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 5 Oz Can Tuna (I prefer light or chunk white tuna packed in water)
- 1 Celery Stalk, chopped fine
- 1 Tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp Mayo
- 4 Slices cheddar cheese
- 8 Pumpernickel Toasts (aka cocktail pumpernickel bread)
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
- Place one fourth of the tuna salad on one side of the pumpernickel bread.
- Top the tuna with a slice of cheddar cheese and close the sandwich with another slice of toast.
- Cook in a panini press for 3 minutes on medium heat or in a saute pan for 2 minutes on each side until toasted and golden.
Calories: 470kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 1700mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!