Pumpkin Gnocchi Treats
It kinda drives me nuts whenever I read recipes that call for half a can of pumpkin puree — mostly because I’ve never seen a half-can sized serving of pumpkin in a store before and I abhor wasting food. Mind you, some of my own recipes here on weelicious call for only that much pumpkin puree, so yes, occasionally I am responsible for driving myself nuts! Recently, I was making some mini pumpkin breads (recipe coming soon) and since I obviously had half a can of puree left over and couldn’t bear letting it go to waste, I turned it into this special dish.
If you’ve eaten gnocchi before — a delicate, dumpling-like Italian dish often made with ricotta and potato — you most likely had the savory kind, as light and airy as soft pillows and topped with marinara and grated Parmesan. I wanted to make a sweet version for the fall and since pumpkin’s consistency is similar to potato, it came to mind as a good base. I’ve actually had pumpkin gnocchi with sage butter as an entree before, but my version, made with maple syrup, cinnamon and a touch of butter, is more like a dessert.
So if you happen to have a half a can of opened pumpkin puree and you want wow everyone after dinner with a special treat that is a little bit different than what they might be used to for dessert, make these sweet pumpkin gnocchi. It’s even worth opening a whole can for. Just use the leftovers for this!
Pumpkin Gnocchi Treats
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeServings: 4Prep Time 40 minutes Cook Time 10 minutes Total Time 50 minutes
- 1/2 Cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 Cup pumpkin puree
- 1 Tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 Tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Cup all purpose flour, plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a standing mixer or bowl and mix to combine.
- Slowly sprinkle in the flour until the dough comes together (it will be slightly wet and sticky).
- Place dough in a lightly floured bowl, lightly sprinkle some more flour on top to prevent mositure and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- When ready, bring a pot of water to a boil and evenly divide dough into 4 parts.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean surface, shape dough into a long log. Using a knife, cut into rectangles, about 1/2 inch thick and 1 inch long.
- Place gnocchi into boiling water and cook until the gnocchi floats to the top, about 1 minute.
- Remove gnocchi to a plate and cook the remaining gnoochi in boiling water.
- In a large sauté pan, melt 2 tbsp of butter; add the maple syrup, ground cinnamon and the cooked gnocchi.
- Sauté for 1 minute until warmed through and coated.
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 400mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 10g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!