Roast Beet Squares
Nothing could be sweeter and have more texture than roasted beets.Pin
I’ve been making them for Kenya since he got his first teeth in and he has always loved them. It was so funny to watch him eat these when he was teething because he would roll them around in his mouth, massaging his gums.
Another fun part about beets is that they come in so many colors. My kids have always been taken with foods that are bright in color or cut in interesting shapes. My personal favorites are the orange/yellow ones, but the “candy cane” beets (with their white and red stripes) have a uniquely sweet flavor. Red beets, usually the easiest to find are great too, but beware that the red color can get all over your hands (and your baby’s which in turn will get all over you).
Beets are rich in calcium, important for healthy bones and teeth, are full of flavonoids and other anti carcinogenic compounds as well as a great immune booster in your and your kids’ diet. The recipe for beet puree is the same as these roast beets except that you cut them into little bite size squares.
Do you eat beets? Let me know in the comments!
Roast Beet Squares
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 1 minute Cook Time 1 minute Total Time 1 minute
- 2 Beets
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take a piece of tin foil and fold it in half.
- Place beets on one side of the foil and cover the beets like a book. Pinch the edges to fully seal the package (this way they will steam in the oven).
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Open foil, let cool beets to the touch.
- Take a ziplock or a gloves and peel the beets (this prevents your hands from getting stained). The skin should slide right off.
- Cool the beets, cut into small cubes and serve.
- *Don’t toss the tops of the beets called beet greens. The greens are also good finger food or you could substitute them for any of the greens in the weelicious purees. Just steam the greens in a pot over boiling water for 4-5 minutes or until the stems are tender. Cool and serve.
Calories: 10kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Sodium: 20mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!