This Spanish Rice is so incredibly flavorful, you’ll be so surprised with how easy and quick it is to make!
I didn’t realize it until recently, but Kenya is a rice eatin’ machine. He’ll eat rice no matter what time of day it is and forget a fork or a spoon — he loves scooping it up with his hands right into his mouth (though I am working on using the fork and spoon more often). And whenever we go to Kenya’s favorite Mexican restaurant, he proudly tells the waiter, “I want RICE”.
This week I’ve been featuring a series of new recipes that can be prepared using leftovers from the night before. It should come as no surprise that Spanish rice is one of Kenya’s favorites. I like to make a big batch of it and give him some of the rice one night, some in his lunch the next day with (yesterday’s recipe) healthy “refried” beans and then some more in a chicken and rice burrito on the third night (look for that recipe to appear tomorrow). For those of you trying to stretch your budget and meal time preparation (and these days, who isn’t?), this recipe is the perfect solution for achieving both!
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipeCook Time 1 minute Total Time 1 minute
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups brown rice (i used short grain brown rice)
- 3 cups chicken stock (i used low sodium)
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pot.
- Saute the onions for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Place rice in the pot and stir to coat with oil.
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes and remaining ingredients and stir.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour or until tender.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 960mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!