Split Pea Soup
Happy New Year! I wanted to start the year off with something healthy, heartwarming and perfect for cool weather days.
Last night, Kenya ate 4 servings of this recipe for dinner! That’s only 2 days after I made it! I gave it to him for lunch and dinner both days (talk about a culinary groundhog day), but he kept slurping it up so I figured “why not?” I usually don’t give him a lot of meat or pork, but this soup really calls for it to get the perfect flavor. After the ham hock finished stewing in the soup, I simply removed it, let it cool, pulled off all the fat and cut it into a tiny dice. It was luscious! Don’t worry if you want to leave it out. No biggie. It will still taste great.
Split peas are a fantastic source of protein and cook in no time compared to most dried beans. Even better, this recipe is very inexpensive. The split peas were less than a dollar, I only used 1/3 of a package of the ham hock so I froze the rest and the other items I already had on hand (and you probably have them in your pantry as well). In 45 minutes I had a creamy pureed soup that everyone in the family could enjoy — even the tiniest member!
Split Pea-Wee Soup
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 50 minutes Total Time 1 hour
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup split peas, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 pound ham hock (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over low to medium heat. Saute the onions and carrot until onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the ham hock and let cool.
- Puree the soup with a handheld blender or in a blender until smooth.
- Cut the meat off the ham hock, discarding the fat. Cut the meat into tiny pieces.
- Serve the soup with ham mixed in or sprinkled on top.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 15mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!