Tex Mex Rice Cakes
When I’m looking for an easy side dish, or meatless main dish, to serve with dinner, Tex Mex Rice Cakes are perfect. I always have these ingredients on hand so they come together quickly and the kids love foods they can pick up with their hands and dip into salsa, ketchup, or guacamole.
Hand a kid something they can eat with their little paws and you have an instant winner! Not only are these Tex Mex Rice Cakes easy to make with leftover brown rice, a great choice for vegetarians, but also great for toddlers! For this Rewind Wednesday I’m digging into the Weelicious archives to share a classic that’s just as popular with our family today as it was the first time we made it years ago.
Our family loves eating brown rice, so I always try to keep a big bowl of it in the refrigerator. It’s a nutritious, healthy and versatile base for so many dishes. On nights when I’m stumped as to what to make for dinner, I make these Tex-Mex Rice Cakes. Since I always have the rest of the ingredients on hand, it only takes me minutes to prepare. The best part is that I can make a few extra for Kenya’s school lunch the next day. I just pop a couple in his Lap Top Lunch Box and we’re both happy!
Watch this Tex Mex Rice Cakes video for how to make this simple yet tasty dish to add to your favorite dinners. Leftovers are great for packing in school lunch, or freezing for another day, too!
Tex Mex Rice Cakes
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 8 minutes Total Time 18 minutesfrom 1 voteSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint Recipe
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil for cooking
- In a bowl, mix together the rice, bread crumbs, cheese, corn, cilantro and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, then add to the rice mixture and mix to combine well.
- Measure 1/4 cup mixture at a time and shape into patties.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- To Freeze: Prepare the recipe through Step 3, place the patties in a single layer on a tray and freeze for 30 minutes, or until frozen through. Transfer to a zip top bag or other freezer safe container for up to 4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and follow the recipe directions starting with Step 4.
Calories: 70kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 135mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!