This Vegetarian Pho is going to change the way you look at soup! Do I love Chili? Absolutely! Broccoli Cheddar a hit with the kids? Any place, any time! Is there a container of Slow Cooker Bone Broth in my freezer at all times? You know it! But this soup is a game changer for any who prefers DIY cooking.
Whenever I hit a cooking wall on the weekends and need a break we order in from one of our favorite local Vietnamese restaurants. Without fail the kids love ordering their Vegetarian Pho. Whether it’s cold outside or they have been outside swimming all day the idea of coming into a big bowl or warm broth to add their favorite accompaniments.
For this recipe there’s no better way to serve it than placing this fragrant broth in bowls in front of everyone and letting them add mushrooms, rice noodles, scallions, bok choy, basil, carrots… Honestly, the sky’s the limit. You can also switch it up and add seafood or chicken if you want to. The point is that the broth itself is just the canvas for whatever you want it to become.
As much fun as it is to order dinner in, sometimes it’s just as fun to make your takeout favorites at home!
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 1 minute Cook Time 10 minutes Total Time 1 hour 50 minutes
- 6 cups water
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 bunch cilantro, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 8-ounce package rice noodles
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 16 basil leaves
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 baby bok choy, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- To make the broth: In a large pot, combine the water, shallots, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, carrots, ginger, peppercorns, cloves, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and 1/2 bunch cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the broth and discard the solids. Keep the broth simmering until ready to use.
- Cook the rice noodles according to package directions.
- Divide the noodles between 4 bowls. Top with the scallions, basil, mushrooms, carrots, and baby bok choy.
- Pour the hot broth over each bowl. Serve with lime wedges, remaining cilantro, and extra soy sauce.
Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!