Always trying to change things up for breakfast in our house, I went to the grocery to buy breakfast sausage patties. Bad idea. The sodium in the frozen patties I found was off the charts! Wow. But how can I deprive Kenya of breakfast sausage? Back to the test kitchen for me.
These patties take only seconds to make because you toss all the ingredients in the food processor, whiz them up and form them into mini patties. I bought organic turkey and pork at Whole Foods since their meat doesn’t contain hormones and is excellent quality. Whole Foods is also unofficially known as “Whole Wallet” for their high prices, but I was shocked that my recipe still cost A LOT less then buying FOUR boxes of frozen patties that would yield the same amount.
I even added apple and spices to give them a sweet note and give a little zip. After cooking them, just pop the ones you don’t need into a labeled freezer bag and toss them in the freezer so you have them on hand any time of the day — Which is a good thing because these sausages are perfect for any meal.
No ratings yetSave RecipeSaved Recipe!Rate RecipePrint RecipePrep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 5 minutes Total Time 10 minutes
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 Pound Ground Turkey (I used dark meat turkey because it has more iron then white meat, but you could also use white meat )
- 2 Tbsp onion, chopped
- 1/2 apple, peeled and cored (gala, golden delicious, and fuji are good choices)
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1 Tsp Fresh Thyme (or 1/2 Tsp Dried)
- 1/2 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Tsp maple syrup
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Using your hands, form 1 tbsp of the mixture into patties.
- After all the patties are formed, heat a large non stick pan over medium heat.
- Cook for 3 minutes, flip the patties and cover for 2 minutes.
- Uncover and cook an additional minute or until patties are cooked through.
- Cool and serve.
Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 15mg | Sugar: 1g Did you make this recipe?Mention @Weelicious or tag #weelicious!